Wednesday, January 11, 2006

I Like Propane

Any Hank Hill fans out there? Hank surely would have a perfect explanation for my trip to Mt. Airy today. It all started when my cell phone about vibrated off my hip as I took a bite of my chicken salad sandwich. On the other end, "hey Ken, this is Jonathon at Surry 911." I knew something was up, he usually doesn't call just to say hey. "We need you guys to get some info on the air immediately," he rattled off without breathing, "we've got a couple of 30,000 gallon propane tanks leaking in Mount Airy. We need to let people know not to go out of their houses in the area around Newsome Street and Highway 52." I just said, "OK," and "we're on the way."

Of course things had settled down by the time we got there but it was still a good package opportunity. After talking with Surry County EMS Director John Shelton we had a pretty good idea what happened and what would be going on at news time, you know 5 and 6 O'clock.

My good buddy Danny Spillane soon pulled in with the newly painted sat truck and we were in business. Brent started logging interviews at about 10 minutes after 4 for our 5 O'clock lead package but we weren't worried. As he tracked his audio shortly after 4:30 I knew we'd be OK. Of course, we also had a 6 O'clock package but we'd tackle that after we got done with the 5.

For those of you wondering, yes we got the six O'clock package on the air, as well. Here's Brent getting ready for the live shot. Ain't life grand?

No comments: