Thursday, July 21, 2005

Feeling My Age

It's no secret, I'm not getting any younger. I know, I know, none of us are. But I've just recently come to the reality that it's not as easy to just get out and exercise these old muscles. Of course, it doesn't help that when you go outside to take a short run you might as well go to the gym and put the treadmill in the sauna! A high of 93 here in the Piedmont of North Carolina with heat indices approaching 110 is enough to make you want to go back in the house and soak up some more of that ice cold air conditioning we've all come so fond of.

But I've made a promise to myself and, more importantly, my family. I'm getting back into shape and I'm going to do a Triathlon. Yes, you read that correctly, I'm going to do a triathlon. For some reason I've always wanted to do it. I've never really talked about it that much, but I needed a goal to get my butt off the sofa and make me get out there and train. As a very competitive individual I felt a race would give me something to shoot for. Now, don't get too excited and ready to call me crazy, I'm only doing a short triathlon. I've found a couple in Florida in April that don't sound too bad. One that touts itself as the beginning of the triathlon season in Saint Pete is less than a mile swim, a 24 mile bike ride and a 6 mile run.

So it's out there. Now all two of you reading my blog know I'm entering a triathlon. I guess that's a little added incentive to make it. I'll keep you posted on my training.

No comments: