Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Hangin' with The Prez

During election years Congressmen, Senators, even the President seem to make themselves very available to the press. I don't have a problem with this, I just find it amusing how you can always tell when it's an election year because suddenly the President is visiting every small town in the U.S. President Bush was making a visit to Winston-Salem a few years ago that didn't have anything to do with an election. As a matter-of-fact, Mr. Bush had just given his first ever State of the Union Address the night before.

The reason I bring this day up is because I often take for granted the cool things we do in this job. This was one of those "cool" days. Not so cool just because the President of the free world was coming for a visit. No, we've had a few visits in the area. North Carolina seems to be one of those states politicians like to focus on because it's a swing state with more than a few electoral votes. But I'm not here to spout political rhetoric. The reason this was such a cool day for me was because my station was chosen to be the "pool" camera for the local stations. And my station chose me to do the honors.

The day started pretty early as we had to be at Piedmont Triad International Airport for check-in more than a few hours before The President's scheduled arrival. This visit was January 30, 2002. Yes, just a few months after 9-11. It was that very tragic event that brought Mr. Bush to our area in the first place. It seems the community of Winston-Salem was being held up as a model for the rest of the country in preparing for disasters.

So, after having the Secret Service check every pocket, fanny pack and orafice on me I was cleared to make my way to the tarmac. I was able to get up close and personal when the president arrived in Air Force One. I didn't realized how much more exciting this trip would become. After rolling on the prez coming down the steps and greeting the Guilford County sheriff, BJ Barnes, then-Congressman, now Senator Richard Burr, and of course, Congressman Howard Coble, I was instructed to climb into the media van provided to us in the pool. I was joined by still photographer Chris English from the Winston-Salem Journal, a radio personality from WSJS, and my partner for the day, Cameron Kent, from my competing station. It's not every day that we work with someone from another station but the experience was a pleasure because Cameron is the consumate professional.

As we left the airport in the motorcade I couldn't help but notice all the guns pointed at us from atop the many buildings along the route. The military presence was just amazing. But, what impressed me most was the sheer number of people lining the roadways from Greensboro to Winston-Salem. The flags waving, the people cheering, it was very emotional to see so many come out and show support. When we pulled into downtown Winston-Salem and saw the crowd at Fourth and Spruce, we were overwelmed. I can't imagine what the president feels when he sees this everywhere he goes.

I finally got a chance to get up close to Mr. Bush while he was speaking to some local dignitaries at the Center for Community Safety. This was the main reason the president came to find out what they were doing and how to tell other cities to do the same thing. I found Mr. Bush to be very engaging and sincere. I still feel like he does his best speaking when he doesn't have something prepared.

After a short break in the action we headed to the Lawrence Joel Veteran's Memorial Coliseum for his "big" speach. We had it covered from all angles with our lead anchor Neill McNeill leading the charge from his perch in a box seat above the action. Brent Campbell was wrapping up coverage downtown as the president made his way to the coliseum and reporters who've most likely left our fine establishment were outside the arena for more on the visit. Although, I'm sure our Bob Buckley was there. If it breathes politics, Bob is there.

Time to go to bed, but I'll post more later.

1 comment:

Clay said...

Kenny,
How do I e-mail you!

CLAY BOGLE
http://www.thebogleblog.blogspot.com/