Tuesday, February 28, 2006

The Color Purple

As we made our way back toward the station our minds wandered but conversation focused on the story. How would be the best way to demonstrate what we'd just seen. Flooding had lifted a church off it's foundation and carried it some 200 yards down the "stream" next to which it sat. Lilla and I had shot plenty of footage for our package, and great sound to boot. But the discussion was cut short by my cell phone going off. The voice on the other end was rather frantic, "Kenny, how close are you two to Bowling Green?" I figured 15 to 20 minutes. "Get to the Colony Apartments complex off Campbell Lane as fast as you can, drop the church story." The voice broke up slightly, "we have a child abduction."

My stomach feels much the same way now that it did when I heard those words. My Chevy Lumina news car found a new gear and we were on the scene in less than 10. We already had one photographer on location who had quickly collected a picture of the little girl. Her name was Morgan Jade Violi. She was 7 years old.

Lilla took the picture and she and Greg were on their way to the studio to get the picture broadcast on televisions across south-central Kentucky in record time. The police knew it might be the only chance to find Morgan before her abductor got out of the area. Time was of the essence. It was July 1996, long before the now familiar Amber Alert System.

I stayed at the scene trying to make sense of what had happened. Morgan's mother, Stacy was in tears on the front steps of her apartment. Police were doing their best to conduct interviews with kids who had been playing with Morgan, including her younger sister, who had managed to escape the attacker when he forced Morgan and one of her friends into a maroon cargo van. They were just 50 feet from the front door, playing innocently, as kids do.

The Saga Continues
The next few weeks are somewhat of a blur of candlelight vigils, numerous pleas from Stacy to bring her daughter home, America's Most Wanted and big market news crews from Louisville and Nashville hanging around our small town. Purple ribbons and lapel pins were given out to keep the faith that Morgan would find her way home. Stacy repeatedly told us that purple was Morgan's favorite color.

Mom and Dad were divorced and soon Morgan's father, Glen Violi, became a suspect. He was ruled out after having an alibi, he was at work. We interviewed Mr. Violi and he was just as devastated as the rest of the family over Morgan's disappearance.

Morgan's friends and family all told us the same stories about her. She loved life itself, was a smart little girl who had plenty of friends in her school and everyone liked her. The first grader was looking forward to the upcoming school year. Her place in second grade was ready for her when she made it home.

The Call
About 4 months into the tragedy the phone call that no one wanted, came. Police in White House, Tennessee were on the scene of a body found in a culvert under a small farm road just off Interstate 65. The purple bow in the little girl's hair told us what we feared most. It was indeed the brown-haired, little Morgan Violi. Morgan had been there since the day she was abducted.




This is the only suspect known at this time. He is reported to have sandy blonde hair. The maroon colored van suspected in the abduction was found in Franklin, Tennessee. A white van was parked in the area where Morgan was found for four hours. This man was driving that van. He is the only connection to the case. The maroon van was stolen from Dayton, Ohio. Police in Bowling Green, KY, Robertson County, TN and the FBI are still on the case and ask anyone with information to call (270)393-4244.




The Funeral
The coffin came out of the church draped in Morgan's favorite color, purple. As I pushed in tight I spotted Mom and Dad walking behind as ushers pushed the small casket into the back of the hearse. The most hardened of reporters showed their emotion that day. It was, and still is, one of the hardest stories I've covered in the news business.

Stacy Violi
I visited Stacy a few times after all this was over and formed a sort of bond with her. I guess working so closely with someone going through a tragedy makes that happen. Even though it's been close to ten years, I think of little Morgan often and wonder what she must've gone through. My prayers go out to Stacy and her youngest daughter- all she has left. All they both have is each other.


Morgan would have been 17 years old this year.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My name is Dewayne Whitlow and I am the oldest of Morgan's cousins on her mothers side. We our a very close family there are 3 aunts, 4 uncles, and 19 cousins who all love her and miss her more and more each day. I just now seen your web site on April 25th. Just got a computer. Keep going with the web site if I can be of any help let me know. Our favorite color is purple too...... we love you MORGAN JADE VIOLI

Anonymous said...

Its Dewayne again I needed you to know that it was not her younger sister that was almost taking it was a friend of hers in the next apartment. Her father is Glen not Greg sorry I wanted you to know that so everything is great. Thank you again.

Anonymous said...

I JUST WANTED TO LET YOU WE MISS MORGAN TOO AND HOPE YOU FIND THE ANSWERS YOU ARE LOOKING FOR. MY DAUGHTER LOVED HER VERY MUCH AND WE THINK OF HER EVERYDAY.

Anonymous said...

I want to say thank you to the person that has posted this page. Stacey is my cousin however I don't see her much because I live in another state. Morgan has been on my mind a lot lately and I was wondering if the cops were still investigating the case. I hope they don't forget Little Morgan. A person like the person that stole Morgan and took her life will do it again. I hate the thought of a person like that being on the streets. It is my hope that he(she) was caught for one of his(her) crimes and is locked up thight in some lonely cell.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the post on Morgan. I actually lived at Colony Apartments in Bowling Green... I was going to school at WKU and was finishing up my degree. I had moved out of my apartment at the beginning June to another one closer to the school, then little Morgan was abducted in July. I had lived at those apartments for over a year... Morgan had lived in the apartment building behind mine. I still remember crying and praying that she would have come home safely. Unfortunately, that was not the case. Every now and again (hence my google search for her name and the discovery of this blog), I think of her, and wonder if they ever caught her killer. It saddens me that is not the case, and he has probably killed again. But, in the meantime, thank you for taking a moment to keep her memory alive.

Anonymous said...

They tore down the old barn they found her in not too long ago...but everytime I passed it I thought of her an what she must have gone through...Hope they find her killer one day

babygurl20092 said...

i live at colony now ashton parc i loved her she was always at the pool riding her bike and such i miss her